Thursday, June 27, 2013

Day 10 Missoula to Avon MT - 99mi

This was a hard ride for me.  I knew it might be.  The combination of long distance and the higher altitudes took it right out of me.  We left Missoula after a nights rain and the mists were rising off the close hills as we followed some creeks up into the rockies.  The landscape looked like something out of Tolkien.  Very neat.  Then we climbed several ridges with very green valleys between each one.  The vistas gradually became bigger and bigger and I could tell we were getting higher and higher.  About 20mi away from Avon I started feeling dizzy and weak.  I started to fear I wouldn't finish the day, and I could have grabbed a ride to the camp if I wanted.  But I really did not want the mountains to defeat me, so I stubbornly pedaled on.  With 9mi to go, the road started to descend.  Oh joy, it kept descending! That saved me, and I pedaled through Avon and on to the camp a very happy rider.  The Avon cafe served us a yummy good dinner with pies for dessert.  I opted to pitch a tent instead of sleep in the building that was available to us.  It was just so beautiful there, and the fresh air was wonderful.  Slept like a baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment