Sunday, June 30, 2013

Day 12 Townsend to Harlowton MT - 99mi


Started the day having breakfast at one of the few eateries in town.  I had some yummy pancakes with very good strawberry-rhubarb sauce that was apparently made by one of the local women.  
We knew a climb was coming in the ride at mile 11, but we ended up having to climb up two big ridges before that!  The climb that started at mile 11 was up Deep Creek Canyon.  For a climb it was very pleasant!  The creek bubbled right next to the road, and the canyon was sheltered, treed, and beautiful in the early morning light.  And the grade was fairly gradual.  Bur then it went on, and on, and on, and got steeper.  found I had to stop a couple times to let my heart catch back up to me, so I took photos while I rested.  The canyon opened up near the top, and as I crested the hill the high plains greeted me.  Riding those green high plains was definitely a highlight of the trip so far for me.  The next 10 mi or so were breathtaking.  Everything was just so green and fresh, and wildflowers covered whole hillsides.  After a bit of a descent, the country turned to rolling vistas and cattle (happy cows).
After lunch stop it got hot (well at least for me - 88deg).  More climbing came and I began to get discouraged with 60mi still left to go for the day.  Finally the road started descending nicely, then I entered a big flat valley with farm fields and the highway became a nice country road.  A fantastic tailwind came up and I was able to "sail" the bike at 22mph without much pedaling!!  I made up miles with little effort.  Very encouraging.  With 8mi to go the wind changed but I could smell the barn by then and persisted in.  I arrived covered with sweat, various forms of mucus, perpetual, and a sunburn.  Our dinner that night was with a family who lives in Harlowton.  It was so nice to have fresh, homemade food!  Slept in the carpeted basement of a church in town - very comfortable.
Deep Creek


Deep Creek Canyon

Getting steeper

Pretty woodlands along the canyon sides

The High plains.  Pictures do not do it justice.  There are bands of wildflowers in the grasses.

My view up there

Historic sites make nice breaks

Ferdinands

Get along little dogie.
I had great fun mooing at all these beasts as I went by to get a reaction.

1 comment:

  1. Great pics! I have an almost identical shot of the Smith Valley sign. ;o}

    Dick, 2011

    ReplyDelete