Monday, July 1, 2013

Day 15 Billings to Hardin MT - 54.5mi (+7mi)

We left Billings behind and climbed out of the valley the city dwells in (750ft).  After a nice descent, we entered the Little Big Horn country, eventually entering Bighorn county.  I have travelled this area before by car, and it was always one of my favorite areas.  To be able to go through it on a bike and experience it more intimately was a blessing.  It was a shorter, easier ride today, so I worked on my speed, and arrived in camp (hurray for KOA!) in time, for the first time,  to help unload the truck.  This was mostly because many of the others stopped for second breakfast in the town of Hardin.  I still got to pick out a choice spot for my tent though :)  With most of the afternoon to use as we liked, some of us biked to the Big Horn County museum, which was worth the $5 admission just for the air conditioning (it is sunny and hot here) but was really quite interesting.  I particularly liked the collection of arrowheads and stone tools, and the exhibit about Will James.  Outside they had some old log cabins and houses and wagons to enjoy.  Back at camp, I was able to catch up on laundry I couldn't finish in Billings, then enjoy a catered dinner from the same Billings restaurant that catered us 2 nights ago.  Delish! The heat persists into the evening, but I seem to be enjoying it.  I may change my mind on the ride tomorrow.  Also, there is a sugar beet refinery across the street going full bore and sounding like a jet constantly taking off so I am concerned about getting a good nights sleep tonight.  We'll see.
Big horn country

Big rider Luke with his dad, Brian, who is riding with us during this leg from Billings to Rapid City.

Big rider John at one of the checkpoint breaks today.

Setting up camp at noon!

Wagons ho!

No comments:

Post a Comment